Sunday, December 22, 2013

Irrational Thinking Leads to Irrational Acts

COGIC Pastor Accused of Molesting 16-year-old Family Member | WREG.com

The alleged victim apparently told church and other family members about the abuse, but instead of calling police, they prayed the Lord would make it stop.

I understand the impulse to pray. I still have it despite having let go of faith. When something terrible happens, my first instinct is to call on God for help. Conditioning is a bitch to get rid of. And back when I was a Christian, prayer was my first line of defense. I don't begrudge people who pray. It can be a powerful psychological assist when there are no other options. But there were plenty of other options here. This family failed to protect this child. Pray all you want AFTER you call the damn police.

No comments:

Post a Comment